My name is Laurie Frisbey and I’m excited about this opportunity to share my thoughts, ideas and opinions with you as a BDN blogger.
A few things about me:
I’m a middle-aged married mom of three and a full-time college student. I live in Brewer with my husband, Ron, who I met 12 years ago on a writing website My son is now an adult who graduated from college and ventured out on his own this past summer. We still have a full house with a 16 year-old daughter, an 11 year-old daughter with special needs, and a mini Dachshund/Chihuahua named Rosie.
I was 19 years-old when I had my first child and 31 when Ron and I had his first/my third, so it feels as though I have always been a mother and here I am still changing diapers at 42. Now that we are starting to get some services in place for my youngest though, I feel like I’m able to start trying to find myself – an important phase I skipped in my twenties. I feel like I’m 42 going on 26, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
Some things I would like to do/do more of and share with you include:
- Write – doing it right now
- Read – maybe join a book club and write about what’s good
- Try artsy-craftsy things – I’m thinking about doing some Paint and Sip sessions and I have loads of ideas for other things.
- Get back in shape – Sitting on my butt doing homework and lectures at the computer for the last two years has really taken a toll on me and completely negated my past weight loss efforts.
- Hike and walk – Some favorite spots in the area include the Bangor Forest, Chick Hill, and Bald Mountain but I’m looking for more places to go close to home.
- Kayak – I don’t think I’m ready for the Kenduskeag race. I usually paddle around Fields Pond or Pushaw Lake. I have kayaked parts of the Narraguagus, Union and Penobscot Rivers before, but it’s been a few years.
- Roller-skate – Roller derby sounds really cool but like a HUGE financial and time commitment.
- Live music – I love to go down to the Waterfront and Central Street in the summer and sometimes just sit and listen from my back yard. Unless it’s country music.
Other interests and topics I will probably write about:
- Raising a child with special needs, specifically Ring chromosome 22 – This is the rare genetic disorder my younger daughter has.
- Raising a teen, marriage, family etc.
- Polyamory – This is not the same as polygamy and not associated with any religion. It’s the idea of being able to love more than one romantic partner at a time and for some, possibly more than two adults cohabiting and sharing in the finances and the responsibilities of raising children. In the current economy and with the current divorce rate, this is a viable and practical option for people which I support. It just may be the next lifestyle to gain acceptance as it continues to get more and more mainstream exposure.
- Anti-feminist movement – I prefer “Egalitarian”. Feminism might have had a time and place in this country but it has long past. I fee it has become an extremist movement to surpass equality and gain superiority over men.
- Minimalist and frugal lifestyle – I’m not there yet but I’m trying not to spend money on things we don’t need. Almost everything in my living room came from a yard sale, Goodwill or off the curb.
- Personality types. I label myself an introvert, which I’ve been told I shouldn’t do. But it’s part of who I am and I feel if extroverts can embrace their extroversion, why shouldn’t I embrace my introversion? It’s not a negative thing to say you’re an introvert.
- Local issues – Sometimes I comment on things in the BDN. Here, I can elaborate on things I feel strongly about.
Some of my early writing heroes – fictional and real – include John-Boy Walton, Jessica Fletcher, V.C. Andrews, Dave Barry, Stephen King and Anne Rice.
If you have questions you would like me to answer, challenges for me or suggestions of things you would like to see me write about, please contact me. If you have comments, please make them. Let’s start some discussions!
Trying to live a full life with a half-baked plan.
Mid-life, knee-deep in yuck, up to my elbows in wtf.
Just doing what I can.
If you like my blog, please feel free to share and subscribe. Thanks for reading.
Like I May Regret This on Facebook.